The NFL released 11 proposed playing rules changes and two bylaw changes for the 2021 NFL season. The league's ownership will vote on the proposals later this month.
Proposed rules changes:
1. By Competition Committee: to amend Rule 16, to eliminate overtime in the preseason.
2. By Competition Committee: to amend Rule 6, Section 1, Article 3, for one year only, to establish a maximum number of players in the setup zone.
3. By Competition Committee: to amend Rule 12, Section 2, Article 4, to expand the prohibition on blocking below the waist by offensive and defensive players on scrimmage downs when contact occurs beyond five yards on either side of the line of scrimmage and more than two yards outside of either offensive tackle, by Competition Committee.
4. By Competition Committee, Coaches Subcommittee, and Baltimore: to amend Rule 15, Section 3, Article 9, and Rule 19, Section 2, to permit the Replay Official and designated members of the Officiating department to provide certain objective information to the on-field officials.
5. By Chicago: to amend Rule 11, Section 3, Article 3, to ensure the enforcement of all accepted penalties committed by either team during successive Try attempts.
6. By Los Angeles Rams: to amend Rule 8, Section 1, Article 2, to add a loss of down for a second forward pass from behind the line and for a pass thrown after the ball returns behind the line.
7. By Kansas City Chiefs: to amend Rule 5, Section 1, Article 2, to expand jersey number options for certain positions.
8. By Baltimore and Philadelphia: to amend Rule 16, Section 1, to change the options for winner of an overtime coin toss, and create a true sudden death format.
9. By Baltimore: to amend Rule 16, Section 1, to change the options for winner of an overtime coin toss, eliminate sudden death format, and eliminate overtime in the preseason.
10. By Philadelphia: to amend Rule 6, Section 1, Article 1, to permit a team to maintain possession of the ball after a score by substituting one offensive play (4th and 15 from the kicking team's 25-yard line) for an onside kickoff attempt.
11. By Baltimore: to amend Rule 19, Section 1, Article 1, to add an eighth official who is positioned somewhere other than the playing field, with full communication to on-field officials and access to a television monitor.
Proposed bylaw changes:
1. By Competition Committee: to amend Article XVIII, Section 18.1 of the Constitution and Bylaws to prohibit clubs participating in the playoffs from signing players waived and terminated by clubs whose seasons have concluded.
2. By Competition Committee: to amend Article XII, Section 12.4 of the Constitution and Bylaws to require clubs to submit tryouts and visits to the League office throughout the entire year; however, such transactions will only be reported to clubs from the start of training camp through the conclusion of the Super Bowl, unless it is with a Restricted or Unrestricted Free Agent.