What's general manger Bob Quinn's philosophy on roster building?
"I think the best way to build a football team is through the draft," Quinn said Thursday evening. "And you can supplement through free agency when you have some real serious needs. That's my philosophy and that's the best way to build this team long-term.
"I think it's really important to not get into the hype of free agency and see these other teams go crazy because over the long haul that doesn't work. Not in my opinion. I want to build this thing the right way and build it for the long-term."
Although Quinn doesn't believe in the free agency hype, that doesn't mean the Lions are standing pat.
With the draft less than a month away, the Lions continue to add to the roster with the free agent signings of cornerback Darrin Walls and offensive lineman Geoff Schwartz.
Walls spent the last four seasons with the New York Jets. He played in 13 games in 2015 where he recorded three tackles, three pass defenses and seven special teams tackles.
Schwartz is coming off a two-year stint with the New York Giants. Last season he started 11 games at guard before missing the final five games due to injury.
MEET THE PROSPECTS
Get to know the top prospects entering the 2016 NFL Draft with Tim Twentyman's Meet the Prospects series:
Check back next week for more posts starting with defensive end Shaq Lawson on Monday.
2016 SEASON TICKET MEMBER SUMMIT
The Lions hosted their annual Season Ticket Member Summit Thursday evening. Attendees toured Ford Field, interacted with alumni and participated in a Q&A session with president Rod Wood, general manager Bob Quinn and head coach Jim Caldwell.
OTHER NOTEWORTHY ITEMS:
- Check out Mike O'Hara's 16-year history of who's been available at No. 16.
- Team president Rod Wood thinks playing a regular-season NFL game in China is an interesting idea, but probably not something the Lions will pursue right away.
- Read why this is a very important offseason for second-year cornerback Alex Carter.
- The Lions' training facility is getting some upgrades, including a brand new weight room.
- Wide receiver Marvin Jones' route-running was just one of the things that stood out to the Lions during the free agency process.
- How will the new kickoff rule affect the Lions? Mike O'Hara investigates.