The NFL released the following proposed rules changes for the 2016 season by the Competition Committee and the clubs. The proposals will be voted on during next week's league meetings in Florida.
Proposed rule changes (19):
1. By Competition Committee: Permanently moves the line of scrimmage for try kicks to the defensive team's 15-yard line, and allows the defense to return any missed try.
2. By Competition Committee: Permits the offensive and defensive play callers on the coaching staffs to use the coach-to-player communication system regardless of whether they are on the field or in the coaches' booth.
3. By Competition Committee: Makes all chop blocks illegal.
4. By Competition Committee: Disqualifies a player who is penalized twice in one game for certain types of unsportsmanlike conduct fouls.
5. By Competition Committee: Changes the spot of the next snap after a touchback resulting from a free kick to the 25-yard line.
6. By Baltimore: Amend Rule 5, Sections 3, Articles 1 and 2 (changes in position) to require players to wear jersey vests with numbers appropriate for their positions.
7. By Baltimore: Amend Rule 15, Section 2, Articles 1, 4, and 5 (instant replay) to provide each team with three challenges and expand reviewable plays.
8. By Buffalo: Amend Rule 15, Section 2, Articles 1, 4, and 5 (instant replay) to permit a coach to challenge any official's decision except scoring plays and turnovers.
9. By Carolina: Amend Rule 8, Section 2, Article 1 (intentional grounding) to expand the definition of intentional grounding.
10. By Kansas City: Amend Rule 14, Section 2, Article 1 (half-distance penalty) to add penalty yards to the distance needed to gain a first down.
11. By Kansas City: Amend Rule 8, Section 1, Article 2 (legal forward pass) to prohibit quarterbacks from falling to the ground, getting up, and throwing a forward pass.
12. By Minnesota: Amend Rule 15, Section 2, Article 1 (coaches' challenge) to eliminate the requirement that a team be successful on each of its first two instant replay challenges in order to be awarded a third challenge.
13. By Washington: Amend Rule 16, Section 1, Articles 1, 4, 6 and 7 (overtime procedures) to eliminate overtime periods in preseason games.
14. By Washington: Amend Rule 15, Section 2, Article 4 (reviewable plays) to subject personal foul penalties to instant replay review.
15. By Washington: Amend Rule 15, Section 2, Article 1 (coaches' challenge) to eliminate the requirement that a team be successful on each of its first two instant replay challenges in order to be awarded a third challenge.
16. By Competition Committee: Expands the horse collar rule to include when a defender grabs the jersey at the nameplate or above and pulls a runner toward the ground.
17. By Competition Committee: Makes it a foul for delay of game when a team attempts to call a timeout when it is not permitted to do so.
18. By Competition Committee: Eliminates the 5-yard penalty for an eligible receiver illegally touching a forward pass after being out of bounds and re-establishing himself inbounds, and makes it a loss of down.
19. By Competition Committee: Eliminates multiple spots of enforcement for a double foul after a change of possession.
Bylaw Proposals (10):
1. By Arizona: Increase the active roster list to 48 players.
2. By Washington: Increase the number of active list players for regular season games played on a day other than Sunday or Monday and for games played in another country.
3. By Washington: Eliminate the cut down to 75 players on active list.
4. By Washington: Permit a player who has suffered a concussion and has not been cleared for participation to be placed on the clubs' Exception List and replaced by a player on the club's practice squad on a game-by-game basis until the player is cleared.
5. By Minnesota: Shorten the period of time in which clubs are permitted from resigning players with whom it has executed injury settlements
6. By Buffalo: Allow playing a Monday night game the same minimum amount of time to make roster and salary adjustments as other teams that played the same weekend.
7. By Buffalo: Expand the time period for a club to designate a player for return from Reserve/Injured.
8. By Competition Committee: Permits a non-FBS conference to hold a Pro Day for all the schools in the conference.
9. By Competition Committee: Requires clubs to terminate or request waivers for players who are placed on reserve with minor injuries.
10. By Competition Committee: Permits coaches to review video displayed on club-issued tablets on sidelines and in the coaches' booth.