The Lions notched their first win of the preseason Friday night in Tampa, defeating the Buccaneers 33-30.
Rookie Frank Ragnow moved over to right guard to start the game, where he got a first-hand look at Buccaneers All-Pro defensive tackle Gerald McCoy.
"He's a good football player," Ragnow said of McCoy after the game. "It was a great learning experience to see where I am and where I stack up against one of the best in the NFL. I think the best way to look at it is I have to learn from it. Learn and move on."
Both starting units struggled a bit for the Lions, but the reserves came in and finished strong.
"It was obviously good to see those guys come out and compete in those situations," head coach Matt Patricia said. "And they played extremely hard. They were challenged to go out and try to do a tough task, I think. And I thought they did a real good job, we'll see what it looks like on tape. I thought they were into, they were –execution, communication, understood the situation kind of how we had to play it and I think both sides, really all three sides did a good job."
Check out all of the highlights from the Lions' preseason victory over the Buccaneers:
- Golladay finds himself wide open for 36-yard catch
- Blount bulldozes defenders for a 10-yard run
- Riddick slices through the defense for a 10-yard TD run
- Cassel throws a dart to Marquez for a 3-yard TD catch
- Powell darts to 80-yard punt return TD
- Rudock completes the comeback with a 5-yard TD pass to Lucas
- Walker seals the Lions victory with an interception
General manager Bob Quinn is always looking for ways to improve the roster, and this past week was no exception.
The Lions announced Thursday they acquired linebacker Eli Harold via trade with the San Francisco 49ers for a future undisclosed draft pick. Defensive lineman JoJo Wicker was waived to make room for Harold on the roster.
In addition to the Harold trade, the team also signed safety Marcus Cromartie, cornerback Dexter McDougle, cornerback Sterling Moore and offensive lineman Beau Nunn this week.
OTHER NOTEWORTHY ITEMS
- Go behind the scenes of Lions preseason with Episode 3 of Inside the Den.
- Watch Tori Petry talk with ESPN's Laura Rutledge about being the sideline reporter for the Lions' season opener on Monday Night Football.