• Signed by the Detroit Lions as an unrestricted free agent on December 4, 2012.
• Released by the Miami Dolphins on August 25, 2012
• Signed as an unrestricted free agent by the Miami Dolphins on April 5, 2012
• Released by the Minnesota Vikings on March 13, 2012
• Drafted by the Minnesota Vikings in the second round (43rd overall) in the 2008 NFL Draft.
2012: Played in four games with the Lions in 2012, finishing with three tackles (two solo).
Had two tackles (one solo) in Week 17 vs. Chicago (12/30).
2011: Played in 11 games (three starts), recording 25 tackles (19 solo) and two special teams tackles.
• Nearly tied his career high of eight tackles with a seven-tackle performance (five solo) vs. Oakland (11/20).
2010: Saw time in seven games (two starts).
• Started at Green Bay (10/24) and vs. Buffalo (12/5).
• Finished with three tackles (one solo) before being placed on injured reserve for final week of regular season.
2009: Started all 15 games he played during the regular season, including two playoff games. Stepped into full-time starters job opposite veteran Madieu Williams after serving as a part-time starter as a rookie in 2008. Helped the Vikings rank sixth in the NFL in total defense for the second straight season.
• Picked of QB Kyle Boller in the end zone at St. Louis (10/11).
• Had a season-high eight tackles at Chicago (12/28) on Monday Night Football.
• Missed game vs. Cincinnati (12/13) with a concussion, his first career game he was sidelined for.
2008: Played in all 16 games as a rookie, earning starts in the opening seven games.
• Tallied five tackles (four solo) in his first career playoff game vs. Philadelphia (1/4/09) in NFC Wild Card game.
• Recorded both of his takeaways on Monday Night Football at New Orleans (10/6), picking of QB Drew Brees and recovering a RB Reggie Bush fumble for seven yards.
• Led all Vikings DBs with a season-high eight tackles vs. Carolina (9/21) in just his third career game.
• Chipped in with 6 special teams tackles on the year.
• Started and played in his first career Monday Night Football game in the season opener at Green Bay (9/9) and recorded two tackles.
COLLEGE: Named Sun Belt Conference Defensive Player of the Year in 2007 and earned All-SBC 1st-Team honors in 2005, 2006 and 2007.
• Made Freshman All-America team in 2004.
• Started all 46 games he played in at Arkansas State.
• Notched 13 career interceptions.
• Helped team to 2005 SBC title and a beth in the New Orleans Bowl.
PERSONAL: Earned his bachelor’s degree in management information systems (MIS) at Arkansas State.
• Mother, Patricia, was a track and field All-American at Arkansas.
• Given name is Marcellous Tyrell Johnson.
• Active with Fellowship of Christian Athletes and frequently speaks to youth and student groups.
• First NFL player from Rison High School in Rison, AR, a town of 1,300.
Johnson has a week or two to settle in and learn the defense, and when he's ready, Johnson thinks he can make some plays in the Lions' attacking defense.
Tori Petry talks with quarterback Matthew Stafford as he returns to Allen Park ahead of training camp about the workouts he and some of his teammates put in at Georgia Tech during the offseason.