- Placed on Reserve/Injured for the Lions August 21, 2011
- Signed with the Detroit Lions as an undrafted free agent August 4, 2010.
PRO: Signed with Detroit as an undrafted rookie free agent August 4, 2010, spending most of the season on the team’s practice squad. Had a strong preseason getting all four starts (2 at free safety and 2 at strong safety).
Spent five years at the University of Miami finishing his career with 130 tackles (89 solo), 5 fumble recoveries, 16 pass defenses and 6 interceptions for 126 yards.
2010: Started the season on team’s active roster before re-signing to practice squad in October. Elevated from practice squad in December to play on special teams and serve as a back-up free safety.
- Recorded 2 solo stops on defense in team’s season opener at Chicago (9/12).
- Recorded 2 solo tackles against Philadelphia (9/19) and recovered an onside kick to give Detroit’s offense possession with 1:50 remaining in the game.
- Returned to active roster at Miami (12/26). Recorded one special teams tackle and forced a fumble.
- Inactive against Minnesota (1/2).
COLLEGE: Spent five years at the University of Miami finishing his career with 130 tackles (89 solo), 5 fumble recoveries, 16 pass defenses and 6 interceptions for 126 yards.
- Returned for a fifth years after receiving a medical hardship in 2008 causing Phillips to miss all but two games of the season.
2009: Finished the year with 53 tackles (35 solo), 2 interceptions, 1 pass defensed and 3 fumble recoveries.
2008: Played in two games against Florida and Texas A&M, suffering an injury against the Aggies that forced Phillips to miss the remainder of the season.
2007: Played in all 12 games as a junior, with four starts. Made the switch to safety in the third game of the season and finished with 34 tackles (21 solo), 2 forced fumbles, 1 fumble recovery, 3 pass defenses and 2 interceptions for 56 yards.
- Garnered career highs with 8 tackles, 6 solo, vs. Marshall.
- Recorded a career high 2 interceptions at Florida State for 56 yards.
2006 Saw time in all 12 games with 8 starts as a sophomore, recording 30 tackles (22 solo), 11 pass defenses and an interception for 15 yards.
- Phillips’ 11 pass defenses ranked second most on the team and eighth in the ACC.
- Started in the MPC Computers Bowl vs. Nevada and registered 7 tackles (6 solo) and 3 pass defenses.
2005 Played in 8 games as a true freshman, usually as the nickel back on defense. Totaled 11 tackles (10 solo), 1 tackle for loss, 1 pass defensed, 1 forced fumble, 1 fumble recovery and an interception for 55 yards which was the teams longest of the season.
HIGH SCHOOL AND PERSONAL: Played at Glades Central High School and was rated No. 7 safety prospect by Rivals.com and the No. 16 safety by Scout.com.
- As a senior in 2004, helped team to a 12-1 record and recorded 57 tackles and 4 interceptions while playing safey and cornerback in 7 games.
- Played running back, scoring 11 touchdowns, with 710 yards rushing and 6 receptions for 85 yards.
- Averaged 35 yards as a punter.
- As a junior, was named All-County and racked up 97 tackles, 4 interceptions and posted an impressive 10 forced fumbles.
- Played in the postseason CalifFlorida Bowl.