- Signed with the Detroit Lions as a free agent July 30, 2010.
- Released by the Raiders July 8, 2010.
- Signed to the Oakland Raiders practice squad September 6, 2005 and was later promoted to their active roster October 28, 2005.
- Signed with the Arizona Cardinals as an undrafted rookie free agent and was released prior to the regular season.
PRO:Joined the Lions July 31, 2010 and is a significant special teams contributor. Career stats include: 73 games played and 52 special teams tackles and 4 tackles on defense. Also has 2 forced fumbles and 1 fumble recovery.
- 7th-year veteran who has played in 76 games and has 53 special teams tackles, including 11 since joining the Lions in 2010.
- Spent five seasons (2005-09) with the Oakland Raiders, playing mostly on special teams, recording 46 special teams tackles (42 solo) and 3 defensive tackles over 64 games played.
- Named as an alternate for the 2009 Pro Bowl for his work on special teams.
- In 2008, tied for third on the team with 8 special teams tackles and also blocked a field goal and a punt.
2011: Serves as a back-up linebacker and key special teams player.
- Contributed to Lions 48-3 win over Kansas City (9/18) with 1 special teams tackle.
- Suffered a shoulder injury during the second quarter in the Lions’ 26-23 win at Minnesota (9/25).
2010: Serves as a backup linebacker and on special teams. He is second on the team with 10 special teams tackles so far this season.
- Recorded a team best 3 special teams tackles in season opener at Chicago (9/12) and added a tackle on defense.
- Notched a tackle on special teams at Minnesota (9/26).
- Forced a fumble on Packers' kickoff return at Green Bay (10/3).
- Left game with knee injury against Washington (10/31).
- Inactive (knee injury) against the New York Jets (11/7).
- Inactive (knee injury) against the New York Jets (11/7), at Buffalo (11/14) and at Dallas (11/21).
2009: Recorded 12 special teams stops with 9 solo over 16 games played.
- Notched 1 solo stop on defense vs, NYJ (10/25).
2008: Saw action in all 16 games and tallied 8 special teams tackles, all unassisted, tying for third on the team.
- Blocked first career field goal on a 44-yard attempt vs. San Diego (9/28).
- Blocked a punt vs. Atlanta (11/2).
- Had 2 solo tackles on special teams and forced a fumble that was recovered by the Raiders at San Diego (12/4).
- Forced a fumble on special teams at Tampa Bay (12/28).
2007: Played in 10 games at linebacker and on special teams collecting 11 solo tackles and an assist. Was inactive for the first four weeks of the season and during Weeks 10 and 11.
2006: Saw action in 12 games, contributing on special teams.
2005: Spent the first seven weeks of the season on the Raiders practice squad after being signed (9/6) and was promoted to the active roster (10/28). Played in the final 10 games of the season exclusively on special teams, finishing the year with 8 tackles (7 solo).
COLLEGE: Walked on as a wide receiver at the University of Virginia in 2002.
- Became a specials teams standout as a senior in 2003, playing in all 13 games, recording 7 tackles on kickoff coverage and finished third on the team in kickoff coverage tackles.
- Awarded a scholarship before 2004 and became one of the team's leading special teams players.
PERSONAL: Born in Nigeria and lived throughout much of Africa, China and London while his mother worked for the United Nations.
- Moved to upstate New York, where his mother taught at Colgate.
- Never played high school football, but did excel in soccer, basketball and track.
- Has two brothers, Ben Umezurike and Sam Ekejiuba, and two sisters, Ada Umezurike and Felicia Ekejiuba.
- At the University of Virginia, he majored in electrical engineering.
EKEJIUBA'S SINGLE-GAME BESTS:
- Special Teams Tackles: 3 (twice), Last at Chi, 9/12/10