Don Clemons enters his 27th season with the Lions in 2011. Jim Schwartz is the ninth head coach he has worked for while in Detroit. He served on the staffs of Rod Marinelli (2006-08), Dick Jauron (final five games of 2005), Steve Mariucci (2003-05), Marty Mornhinweg (2001-02), Gary Moeller (final seven games of 2000), Bobby Ross (1997-00), Wayne Fontes (1989-96) and Darryl Rogers (1985-88). At one time or another Clemons has coached every position on defense. He has also served as the team’s strength coach.
He first coached at Kutztown State (Pa.) where he spent two seasons (1977-78) as outside linebackers coach. He then coached one year at New Mexico State (1979) before joining Rogers at Arizona State for five seasons.
Clemons earned an English degree from Muhlenberg (Pa.).
A resident of Rochester, Mich., Clemons and his wife, Shawn, have two sons, Scot and Corey. Shawn starred in basketball at Arizona State and was an assistant coach for the women’s basketball team at Oakland University (Rochester, Mich.) that went to the NCAA Division II semifinals in 1989-90.
CLEMONS' COACHING BACKGROUND
Detroit Lions 1985-present
• Defensive Assistant 2003-present
• Defensive Assistant/Quality Control 2001-02
• Defensive Asst. & Linebackers 2000
• Defensive Assistant 1998-99
• Def. Asst./Asst. Strength & Conditioning 1997
• Defensive Assistant/LBs & CBs 1996
• Linebackers 1995
• Outside Linebackers 1992-94
• Defensive Assistant 1988-91
• Strength & Conditioning/Defensive Assistant 1985-87
Arizona State 1980-84
• Strength & Conditioning 1980-84
New Mexico State 1979
• Linebackers 1979
Kutztown State 1977-78
• Outside Linebackers 1977-78
You submitted questions for Rashean Mathis on social media using #AskALion, Tori Petry asked them. Mathis talks about his dreads and the workouts that keep him young.