Tim Twentyman and Mike O'Hara are in Indianapolis for the 2014 NFL Scouting Combine, which is always good for an extensive amount of media coverage.
The first two days of the event feature head coaches and GMs from the 32 NFL franchises, resulting in a range of topics.
Head coach Jim Caldwell took his turn at noon on Thursday and was asked immediately about Lions quarterback
"Obviously, we have a very fine player at that position, so we wanted to make certain that we had the right people around him," said Caldwell.
The interview took a couple turns before settling back on Stafford and the public debate regarding his status.
"A lot of people want to talk about so many other things that really aren't that important -- whether or not he's 'elite,' or this or that," Caldwell said. "That doesn't matter. We want a championship quarterback.
"It's what we're looking for, and I think we have the makings of that. I think you're going to see Matthew take the bull by the horns and do all the little things that are necessary to get us to keep moving forward as a team."
- Caldwell was also asked about wide receiver
Calvin Johnsonand the need to find a complimentary receiver for him.
- "Because of the fact that he's one that's going to draw a little extra attention in terms of double coverage like he's always done. With that being the case, we have to find a way to make certain whoever's on the other side that may be getting singled in some situations can do some damage against the defenders," said Caldwell.
- The tight end position is an unknown for the Lions right now with longtime starter
Brandon Pettigrewset to become and unrestricted free agent. Depending on how that situation shakes out, the Lions could be in the market for another tight end ... but is No. 10 too high a position?
David Akersset to become a free agent, one position the Lions are looking to fill is kicker. Top-rated kicker Chris Boswell of Rice caught Mike O'Hara's attention on Thursday.
- Players available to the media Thursday were offensive linemen, tight ends and specialists. Friday's players include quarterbacks, running backs and wide receivers.
- Lions GM Martin Mayhew will be available to media in attendance on Friday.
- Tim and Mike are also LIVE blogging from Lucas Oil Stadium and covered topics Thursday ranging from University of Michigan lineman Taylor Lewan to the NFC North.