"I would not be surprised if this (contract extension) happened on the eve of free agency or into free agency and the start of the new league year," said Mayhew in a morning session with beat reporters.
The one factor keeping a deal from being reached is Suh's current search for an agent.
"Suh is expected to sign with Jay Z's Roc Nation to handle his marketing and is considering a number of high-profile agents to handle his contract situation," said Tim Twentyman.
Mayhew also confirmed that unrestricted free agents
OTHER NEWS AND NOTES FROM FRIDAY'S COVERAGE:
- The Lions re-signed veteran center
Dominic Raiolato a one-year deal for 2014, but currently have no longterm plan at the position, said Mayhew.
- The possibility of drafting a developmental center the way
Riley Reiffwas drafted to ultimately step in and replace Jeff Backus in 2012 is a real one.
- Though they have yet to hold a face-to-face meeting, head coach Jim Caldwell says he has had quality talks with defensive tackle
Nick Fairleyand sees it as his responsibility to get the most out of the fourth-year pro.
- Caldwell also confirmed that offensive coordinator Joe Lombardi will call plays on gamedays.
- Friday's LIVE blog covered Green Bay's challenge of competing against two new NFC North coaching staffs, the Lions looking for a quarterback later in the draft and Johnny Manziel's presence in front of the media.
- Mayhew reiterated Friday that the Lions would be looking for a top reciever to play opposite
Calvin Johnson. What about LSU's Odell Beckham Jr.?