LIONS INSIDER

Burleson says he's ahead of schedule, still eyes 1,000-yard season

Posted Oct 2, 2013

Injured receiver Nate Burleson will be out of his hard cast and into a removable splint next week, and is hoping to return sooner than expected

Speaking at the 20th Courage House Dinner Tuesday night, where he was honored as the Detroit Lions Ed Block Courage Award winner, receiver Nate Burleson said he’s ahead of schedule in his return from a broken left forearm suffered last week in a car accident.

"I’ve gotten some good news, but I’m not going to speak about that," Burleson said. "I don’t want to get yelled at by coach (Jim) Schwartz (who doesn’t like his players to comment on injuries), but what was told to me is that what it typically takes to get back, I’ll be back sooner than that.

"So I’ll let you guys do your research and figure that out. Work the numbers on that yourself."

Burleson said he’ll be getting his hard cast removed next week and the arm will be placed in a removable splint.

His goal is to still have a 1,000-yard season, which would be his first since 2004 (1,006).

Burleson has 19 receptions for 239 yards in three games this season.

"I anticipate being out there pretty darn soon," Burleson said. "Put it like this, when I get back I’m still going to try to go after that 1,000 yards, so that means I’ve got to have enough games to do it, which means I have to have enough game to do it and I should be back soon."

Burleson was honored Tuesday night for his return from a broken leg last year.

"It's an honor," he said. "I think that a lot of people see athletes get injured and they just expect us back. One thing I can appreciate about the Courage Award is the journey that goes from the time you're injured until the time you actually make it back on the field, and not just the physical rehabilitation, but the emotional."