Probably No. 1 on the atypical list would be the noticeable size on the football field. The Lions had six signed players -- three drafted -- who stood at 6-5-or-more: two at 6-5, two at 6-6 and two at 6-7 (well, technically, TE
Size along the defensive line took a noticeable shift upward with the addition of defensive ends Ziggy Ansah and
To see how big they really are, take a look at this weekend's rookie orientation photo galleries on detroitlions.com.
Other notable items:
- First and foremost, Tim Twentyman broke down the five players the stood out over the three-day orientation.
- As they should be expected to, Ansah and Taylor stood out within defensive line drills, moving with speed and agility. On the first day, Ansah in particular excelled at one of Jim Washburn's drills.
- Draft picks were the media's focus with one unable to participate due to recovery from a minor surgical procedure. Instead, CB
Darius Slaywas taken under the wing of defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham. The pair could be seen together during the majority of the weekend's three practices.
- In regards to Slay, head coach Jim Schwartz said he wasn't concerned with him missing the on-field portion of rookie orientation.
Larry Warfordmade an impression with his size, but then made headlines after leaving Saturday's practice early due to injury. He returned to action Sunday, however, held out of team drills as a precautionary measure.
- "We didn't want him going through any of the half-line stuff or the team stuff or anything like that," said Schwartz after Sunday's practice. "So, we made the decision to limit him just to err on the side of caution. He had a good weekend and it looks like we'll be able to put that behind us quickly, hopefully."
Sam Martinlearned that adjusting to punting in the pros will take some time.
- Both of the Lions 'signed tight ends -- seventh-round selection
Michael Williamsand free agent signing Fauria -- drew attention over the weekend.
- Practice squad players eligible to participate did so, including WR
Patrick Edwards. Detroitlions.com lead writer Tim Twentyman says Edwards could have an opportunity as a return man.
- In addition to Edwards, six other practice squad members participated in last weekend's rookie orientation.