The big news this week was the contract extension of QB
The 25-year-old quarterback and the Lions agreed to a three-year extension on Wednesday.
"I promise you nobody's going to work harder than me to get this team going in the right direction winning games and going to the playoffs multiple years in a row. That's the plan."
One story to come out of Stafford's extension was the fact that he was significantly involved in the contract negotiation process.
Team president Tom Lewand said Stafford's involvement was a clear indicator of his committment to the team.
"He worked hard on the contract front and for him, it really was more about the process, more about being here, more about solidifying himself as the leader of this team and of that locker room than it was about every last zero or every last dollar and cent on the contract," said Lewand.
"Without his active involvement and his leadership, I don't think we're standing here talking about it today."
Lions' headlines were dominated by Stafford for the remainder of the week:
Dominic Raiolawas a guest on Sirius NFL Radio and expressed his support for his young quarterback.
- Detroitlions.com columnist Mike O'Hara says that the extension of Stafford prior to training camp starting is a win for both parties.
- O'Hara also wrote about Stafford's growing leadership role and how the extension only enhances it.
- The Detroit Lions running backs also dotted headlines on detroitlions.com. Lead writer Tim Twentyman spoke with Lions' alum Mel Farr about the current group of running backs.
- "I think that (
Reggie Bushis) going to surprise a lot of people by the way he's going to be able to run the football," Farr told detroitlions.com.
- Shifting from the top three -- Bush,
Joique Belland Mikel Leshoure-- Twentyman looks at undrafted rookie Steven Millerand his potential to make the final roster as a returner.
- Another undrafted rookie, TE
Joseph Fauria, is looking to make the final roster with a chip on his shoulder.
- As training camp draws nearer, Tim and Mike debate which player was the most valuable free agent acquisition this offseason.
- In his 10 questions feature, Twentyman also touches on which player he would like to see progress the most in 2013.
- Also, Twentyman poses the question: is the NFC North the toughest division in football?