It was another busy week for the Detroit Lions with the news of longtime kicker Jason Hanson retiring from the NFL after 21 seasons.
The Lions will hold a farewell press conference Tuesday in Allen Park.
In addition to the big news of Hanson's departure from football, the Lions added depth to the defensive line via free agency continued their offseason player analysis in preparation for the draft.
- The Lions have announced their 2013 preseason schedule: vs. New York Jets, at Cleveland, vs. New England and at Buffalo. Dates and times TBD.
- On Monday, the Lions signed DT
C.J. Mosleyto a two-year deal. Mosley - who delivered the hit that separated Matthew Stafford's shoulder in 2009 - also apologized to his new teammate.
- The Lions hosted two tight end prospects this week: Michigan State TE Dion Sims and Alabama TE Michael Williams.
- As the Lions continue preparation to make the No. 5-overall pick, Mike O'Hara breaks down the fifth-overall picks over the past 12 drafts and Tim Twentyman looks at Mel Kiper Jr.'s latest mock draft.
- Tim Twentyman also speculates that the Lions' options could be limited at No. 5 considering the moves other teams are marking.
- Jason Hanson announced his retirement on Thursday. The announcement sparked debate of whether Hanson will end up in Canton.
- The announcement also left the Lions to wonder where they will turn next at kicker. Then on Friday, Tim Twentyman reported via sources that the Lions have agreed to terms with veteran free agent David Akers.
- As the Final Four gears up to begin tonight in Atlanta, Tim Twentyman and Mike O'Hara compare the event to the Super Bowl.
Jason Jonestalks to Mike O'Hara about growing up in the Detroit area and coming home to play for the Lions.
- Barry Sanders has advanced to the final eight of the Madden 25 Cover vote. He defeated Ray Lewis and is now head-to-head with Joe Montana. Voting concludes April 10.
- Barry Sanders' camp is trying to get him the Madden Cover victory and, now, so is last year's winner
Calvin Johnson. On Friday, Johnson tweeted, "Vote for @BarrySanders at bit.ly/Xs3CfW and tag #Madden25Barry. Let's see a #Lions repeat on @EAMaddenNFL." Barry's response? "@Bigplaycj thank you my friend."
- Tim Twentyman takes a unique look at behind-the-scenes operations on gameday.