This week marked the beginning of the offseason conditioning program and, therefore, the first time players were back at the team facility in Allen Park since the conclusion of the 2012 season.
Additionally, the 2013 schedule was released, pre-draft visits came to a close, general manager Martin Mayhew held his annual pre-draft press conference and Detroit Lions Hall of Fame running back Barry Sanders advanced to the Madden Cover finals.
- The 2013 regular season schedule was announced Thursday, revealing that the Lions will host a Monday Night Football game on ESPN for a third-straight season.
Matthew Staffordwill sign a contract extension has been a topic of conversation this offseason. On Monday, Stafford addressed that by saying that he wants to break records on the field, not with his contract.
- Though Stafford has yet to sign a contract extension, he has shown his dedication to the team through his recruiting efforts this offseason.
- On the field, Stafford says he would love to see the Lions add a wide receiver that can stretch the field opposite
Calvin Johnson. Stephen Tullochsays third-year DT Nick Fairleyis in great shape and ready to compete for a Super Bowl. Tulloch also broke down competition for the starting outside linebacker spot vacated by Justin Durant.
- GM Martin Mayhew held his annual pre-draft press conference on Thursday. Detroitlions.com lead writer Tim Twentyman breaks down key questions and answers taken from the session.
- One thing to come out of Thursday's press conference was that the Detroit Lions have kept their eye on Michigan's Denard Robinson since the Senior Bowl in January. Robinson will work out for the Lions prior to the draft.
- Tim Twentyman also offered up his own opinion on who the Lions should draft at No. 5, stating that the "safe picks" would be T Luke Joekel, T Eric Fisher or CB Dee Milliner.
- The Lions closed out their pre-draft visits this week, hosting DE William Gholston (Michigan State), WR Kyle Juszczyk (Harvard), T LaAdrian Waddle (Texas Tech), DE/OLB Dion Jordan (Oregon), DB Darius Slay (Mississippi State), RB Latavius Murray (Central Florida), S Jonathan Meeks (Clemson), WR Tavon Austin (West Virginia), LB Vince Williams (Florida State), and RB Steven Miller (Appalachian State).
- The Detroit Lions and the NFL lost two men this week: K Errol Mann and color commentator Pat Summerall.
- It was announced Wednesday that Barry Sanders defeated Jerry Rice in the "Old School" bracket of the Madden Cover finals and will now go head-to-head with Adrian Peterson for the title. Voting concludes April 24.
- The Detroit Lions have announced their 2nd Annual KVD Charity Classic will be June 10.