The Lions returned from an extended weekend following a 40-10 win over Green Bay on Thanksgiving Day to begin preparation for a Week 14 match-up at Philadephia.
It was much of the same from a storyline standpoint, with the team focused on the game at hand and not getting ahead of themselves by talking about the playoffs.
That didn't, however, keep the media from talking about the playoffs and Tim Twentyman and Mike O'Hara were no exception.
Here are some headlines from this past week:
- NOTEBOOK: Akers understands the business side of football; Megatron chasing history and more. After a miss from 31 yards against the Packers, the Lions have brought in six different kickers to work out. Akers is aware of this, obviously, and is unfazed.
- "There's no excuse, you have to make a 31-yard field goal," he said earlier this week.
- Megatron Blog: "Much credit to our defense." The Lions' offense has struggled to protect the football the latter half of the season, meaning the defense has had to step up. They have, and Megatron acknowledges that in his blog this week.
- Barry Sanders: "I think it takes you a little while to realize how significant every game is." Sanders stopped by the Lions' facility this week, which means Tim and Mike had him at their disposal. Here, Tim and Barry talk about the Detroit Lions of 1993, who had to win three of their last four to clinch the division. Sounds familiar, doesn't it?
- O'HARA: Barry Sanders says playing for home field motivates any team to play its best. Mike spoke with Barry about competing for home-field advantage in the final month of the season.
- 10 QUESTIONS WITH TWENTYMAN: Injury concerns, kicker workouts and what it will take to beat Philly. As he does each week, Tim fields questions from the fans, which centered around the injuries of
Calvin Johnson, Reggie Bushand Louis Delmas.
- OPPONENT BREAKDOWN: The Eagles have played their way into playoff contention. The Eagles are on a four-game winning streak heading into this match-up with the Lions. How have they done it? They've simply played good football.
- Reggie Bush and
Joique Bella dynamic duo in Lions backfield. Fans jumped all over this story this week. Bush and Bell have the best yards-per-carry average in the league. Are they the best running back tandem in the game right now?
- NOTEBOOK: Plenty of passes to go around, fast-paced Philly and something's got to give. A lot of good match-up content here. The Eagles run a fast-paced offense that has been successful this season, but that means the defense is on the field a lot. What's more, the Eagles are second in the NFL in running the football and the Lions are third in stopping the run. Something will have to give.
- TIM AND MIKE: What will it take for the Lions to win the division? The Lions have to win three of their final four to clinch the NFC North.
- O'HARA: Turnovers have been the downside of Lions' high-octane offense. Detroit has proved its talent on the offensive side of the ball, but has 12 turnovers over the past three games. That won't fly as the Lions move through this final stretch of games.
- NOTEBOOK: Ansah in the ROY conversation; kicker workouts; Martin working out the kinks and more. Detroit's first-round pick has four sacks in the last two games. He swears he hasn't done anything different, says Twentyman.