This week marked the end of the 2014 offseason as Lions rookies reported for training camp on Tuesday with veterans following suit on Sunday.
It was a busy offseason for the Lions that began with the hiring of head coach Jim Caldwell back in January.
All the work over the past several months will be showcased when the team takes the field for its Week 1 Monday Night Football matchup against the New York Giants.
When the Lions hit the field that night at Ford Field, the players will be wearing a special patch that will remain on the club's jerseys throughout the season to honor the memory of former team owner William Clay Ford.
Stafford acknowledged that he still has plenty of room to grow in a conversation with O'Hara this offseason.
“There’s no question there were times when the pocket was really good in front of me, the guy was open on time and I wasn’t as good as I could possibly be,” Stafford said.
The Lions quarterback is one of several players with plenty of pressure to perform this year.
We are getting closer and closer to the debut of the 2014 Detroit Lions.
Last Sunday, July 20, marked 50 days until the Lions' season opener on Monday Night Football. In honor of being 50 days out, we took a look at the top 50 photos from the 2014 offseason:
SUMMER VACATION IS OVER
The end of the offseason also means an end to summer travels for the Lions players. Over the past month, Lions could be seen all over the globe.
NEXT STOP: TRAINING CAMP
Lions rookies reported to the team's Allen Park practice facility on Tuesday and hit the field for their conditioning test upon arrival. DetroitLions.com was there to take exclusive photos of the test, which players must pass before taking the practice field.
The Lions are the last team in the NFL to report for training camp, so with the team's NFC North rivals starting their practices this week, Tim Twentyman took a look at some questions surrounding each of the division's teams entering training camp.
“You got picked first, come on, you’re supposed to help,” Ebron said Tuesday as he reported for training camp. “That’s really the only thing that weighs above my head.
“My goals are just to help us succeed. Everyone has their own individual goals but my personal goal is to not let Michigan down. You got picked first. You’re here. It’s about us in this facility (who) grind and go out there in this heat and work to be something great.”
Twentyman reported that the Lions will be without a trio of players, who also had to sit out some of the club's offseason practices with shoulder injuries. Ziggy Ansah,
In his 10Questions with 20Man feature, Twentyman answered fan questions submitted via Twitter entering the Lions' 2014 training camp.
TRAINING CAMP TIDBITS
- The team announced two additional opportunities for fans to attend training camp practices this summer.
- Tim and Mike preview the upcoming training camp in their latest video.
- A look at five sleepers that Twentyman thinks have a chance to earn a roster spot.
- The full schedule for the 2014 Lions Training camp can be found here.
This week we wrapped up our training camp previews. See below for links to all of Twentyman's position-by-position breakdowns:
Twentyman also capped off his look at the top players at various positions that the Lions will play against this year:
OTHER NOTEWORTHY ITEMS:
Joseph Fauriatook fans through the evolution of the NFL touchdown celebration in a Sports Illustrated video.
- Mike O'Hara wrote about former Lions assistant coach Dave Levy being inducted into the University of Southern California Hall of Fame.
Kyle Van Noylooks up to Derrick Brooks as a role model because of the Hall-of-Fame linebcaker's versatility on the field.
- Ebron was one of several NFL rookies disapointed to learn their Madden 15 ratings.
- Head coach Jim Caldwell was honored by the Historical Society’s Black Historic Sites Committee for being the first African-American head coach in Lions history on Friday night.
- Twentyman talked with running backs coach Curtis Modkins and assistant head coach/tight ends coach Ron Prince about the Lions' emphasis on the run game in 2014.