DETROIT, (Aug. 15, 2014) – Hatch Detroit today announced the top four finalists for the 2014 Comerica Hatch Detroit Contest presented by the Detroit Lions.
“The public support for this year’s contestants has been phenomenal,” said Vittoria Katanski, executive director of Hatch Detroit. “We expect nothing less than a heated competition between this year’s top four finalists vying for the top spot and $50,000 grant.”
After nearly 24,000 public votes, the final four businesses are:
- Cockadoodle, a full-service breakfast and lunch concept planned for the Avenue of Fashion that embodies the values of farm-freshness, genuine hospitality, quality standards and community honor;
- Gabriel Hall, which plans to be a live entertainment bar & restaurant which celebrates the rich New Orleans-Detroit musical history and connection featuring an authentic Cajun menu and signature drinks;
- Sister Pie, which plans to celebrate the seasons through pie and will use seasonal, locally-sourced ingredients to create sweet and savory food, including pies, cookies, breads and breakfast pastries; and
- Third Wave Music, an instrument retail store concept that plans to sell new and used instruments, provide lessons and operate a repair facility, and aims to become a necessary place for Detroit musicians.
To read full biographies of each company, visit www.hatchdetroit.com.
The winning business pitch will receive a $50,000 grant courtesy of Comerica Bank and legal, marketing, accounting and IT support from Hatch Detroit.
Round two of public voting runs now through Wednesday, Aug. 20 at noon. To vote, visit hatchdetroit.com, Hatch Detroit’s Facebook page or vote in person at one of the following community voting booths around Detroit:
- Saturday, Aug. 16 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Peaches and Greens (8838 Third St.)
- Saturday, Aug. 16 from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. at Simply Casual (19400 Livernois Ave.)
- Monday, Aug. 18 from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. at Detroit Institute of Bagels (1236 Michigan Ave.)
- Tuesday, Aug. 19 from 12 p.m. to 4 p.m. at The Peacock Room (15 E. Kirby St.)
The winner will be announced later that evening at the Hatch Off event, where the final four will present their business pitch one last time to a panel of judges in the glass atrium at Ford Field in downtown Detroit.
“This year’s finalists have shown tremendous resolve in proving they’re worthy to be mentioned alongside previous winners Batch Brewing, La Feria and Hugh,” said Michael T. Ritchie, president, Comerica Bank-Michigan. “There’s no doubt that the success of entrepreneurs will help fuel our city’s revitalization. The impressive support of this year’s contest confirms that Detroiters are all-in for small business.”
“Small independent retail and entrepreneurship have always formed the backbone of Detroit’s economy. The four Hatch finalists embody simple hope for something better that lies at the heart of Detroit’s resurgence,” said Tom Lewand, Detroit Lions team president. “The Detroit Lions are proud to host this year’s Hatch-Off, and look forward to a spirited and exciting evening as this year’s winner is unveiled.”
About Hatch Detroit
Hatch Detroit is a Michigan based 501(c)(3) organization that champions and supports independent retail businesses in Detroit through funding, education, exposure, and mentoring. Hatch Detroit was founded by Nick Gorga, a Detroit native who is passionate about the revitalization of the city and inspiring others in the community to create change.
About Comerica Bank
Comerica Bank, with 214 banking centers in Michigan, is a subsidiary of Comerica Incorporated. Founded in Detroit in 1849, Comerica continues to invest in Michigan. Comerica recently committed $1 million to the Detroit Institute of Arts “grand bargain” that will help the City of Detroit emerge from bankruptcy, support city pensioners and protect the museum’s art collection for the public. Comerica Incorporated (NYSE: CMA) is a financial services company strategically aligned by three business segments: The Business Bank, The Retail Bank, and Wealth Management. Comerica focuses on relationships, and helping people and businesses be successful. To find us on Facebook, please visit www.facebook.com/ComericaCares. Follow us on Twitter at @ComericaCares.
About Detroit LionsThe Detroit Lions are a professional American football team based in Detroit, Michigan. They are members of the North Division of the National Football Conference (NFC) in the National Football League (NFL), and play their home games at Ford Field in Downtown Detroit. The team located to Detroit in 1934 and is the National Football League's fifth oldest franchise. The Detroit Lions most recently made the NFL playoffs in 2011, when they finished with a 10-6 record. In addition to professional football, the Detroit Lions have a very visible and active community relations role in the Detroit area. With a focus on health and wellness and community revitalization, the Lions have contributed $7.2 million through philanthropic efforts since 1991. For more information, visit www.DetroitLions.com.