Allen Park, Mich.—The Detroit Lions announced today their 2011 Preseason Schedule that includes the preseason opener vs. Cincinnati at Ford Field and a nationally televised home game vs. the New England Patriots on Saturday, August 27. The Lions will travel to Cleveland in Preseason Week 2 and complete the preseason at Buffalo.
In the 2011 preseason opener, Detroit hosts the Cincinnati Bengals (August 11-15). The Lions and Bengals met every year in the preseason from 1970-2001 and the rivalry was renewed in 2003, 2007 and 2008. The two teams have played a total of 35 preseason games, with the Bengals holding a slight 18-17 series edge. Detroit has won the last two preseason games the teams played. Overall, Detroit has won the last six home games that have opened their preseason (2003-04, 2006-09).
The Lions take to the road the following week (August 18-22) when they travel to face the Cleveland Browns. The Lions and Browns have faced off 41 previous times in the preseason and Detroit owns a 22-18-1 lead in the preseason series.
In Preseason Week 3, the Lions return to Ford Field for a nationally televised preseason game against the New England Patriots on Saturday, August 27 at 8 p.m., with the game airing on CBS (subject to local blackout). It will mark the seventh time the teams have matched up in the preseason with the last occurring in 2000 at the Silverdome. The Lions lead the preseason series 4-2.
Detroit closes out the 2011 Preseason when they travel to Buffalo to take on the Bills (September 1-2). This year marks the 30th meeting between the Lions and Bills in the preseason, and they have squared off in the preseason each year since 2002. Detroit leads the series 17-11-1, including wins the past three years.
This year's slate of preseason games includes the Lions three most common opponents since 1949: Cincinnati (35 games), Cleveland (41 games) and Buffalo (29 games).
Additional dates and times and individual game ticket information for Lions preseason home games will be announced at a later time.
|August 11-15||CINCINNATI BENGALS||WXYZ-TV ABC 7||TBA|
|August 18-22||at Cleveland Browns||WXYZ-TV ABC 7||TBA|
|Saturday, August 27||NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS||CBS#||8:00 p.m.|
|September 1-2||at Buffalo Bills||WXYZ-TV ABC 7||TBA|
WXYZ-TV ABC 7 TO AIR LIONS PRESEASON GAMES
In February, WXYZ-TV and the Detroit Lions announced a new broadcast partnership that will bring the excitement and energy of Lions football to a new and growing audience of fans during the upcoming 2011 season. The agreement, which incorporates unique, year-round programming and marketing initiatives, includes the following programming content on WXYZ various platforms:
- Telecast of Lions preseason games and pregame shows in High-Definition TV
- An exclusive one-hour weekly "live" pre-game show from Ford Field and all away games
- Special Detroit Lions Training Camp updates
- An April NFL Draft special
- A regular season Monday night interview segment with Head Coach Jim Schwartz
- A regular season Thursday night Detroit Lions player interview segment
- Special Detroit Lions-oriented digital elements on wxyz.com and detroitlions.com
2011 LIONS SEASON TICKETS
Season tickets for 2011 are now on sale
- 2010 Detroit Lions season tickets are now on sale and can be purchased by calling 313.262.2011 or visiting the team's website, Detroitlions.com.
2011 LIONS HOME OPPONENTS
- Along with home games against their traditional NFC North Division rivals (Chicago Bears, Green Bay Packers and Minnesota Vikings) the Lions 2011 home schedule includes the following NFC opponents: Atlanta Falcons, Carolina Panthers and San Francisco 49ers. AFC opponents visiting Ford Field in 2011 are the Kansas City Chiefs and San Diego Chargers.