Allen Park, Mich. — Two-time Detroit Lions’ MVP wide receiver
The Calvin Johnson Jr. Foundation, Inc. was established two years ago to assist the self-development and empowerment of aspiring youth to help them to overcome seemingly difficult situations. The initial focus was on Johnson’s hometown of Metro Atlanta, but the veteran Lion will now include his adopted hometown – Metro Detroit.
“I wanted to give back by supporting and sponsoring community programs designed to change youth's outlook on life," said Johnson. “Metro Atlanta is home but, now, so is Metro Detroit.”
Through his foundation, Johnson is offering scholarship opportunities to senior football players in Metro Detroit. The criteria is that the athletes must be graduating seniors this spring, already have a partial college football scholarship, and have a least a 2.5 grade point average upon their high school graduation. The deadline for application for the scholarship is June 4, 2010.
Six scholarships will be awarded. The amount of the scholarships and the winners will be announced at the inaugural Athlete Extravaganza and Scholarship Dinner in Detroit, August 7, at a location to be determined.
The Foundation already has made an impact in Atlanta. Six scholarships were awarded last year to Metro Atlanta football athletes and Calvin hosted a free football camp for rising 9th through 12th grades that emphasized life skills as well as football skills. The Foundation also has provided toys at Christmas for children in Detroit and Atlanta, and for the children of inmates at and transitioning from the Metro Atlanta Transitional Women’s Center. The Department of Corrections recognized the Foundation in their “Impact Georgia” February 2010 Newsletter.
For a scholarship application packet or for more information, email inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org or write to the Calvin Johnson Jr. Foundation, Inc., c/o Catching Dreams Scholarship Program, P.O. Box 1015, Tyrone, GA 30290.
THE CALVIN JOHNSON JR. FOUNDATION, INC.
The Calvin Johnson Jr. Foundation, Inc. is a two-year non-profit organization which focuses on the self-development and empowerment of aspiring youth. The Calvin Johnson Jr. Foundation, Inc.'s vision is to see youth emerge out of seemingly difficult situations and change into productive members of society.
The Foundation's mission is to:
- Support community-based organizations that assist youth with sports activities and developing a positive outlook on life.
- Provide assistance to children that are in poverty or that live in foster homes or in other institutions or group homes to become active in advancing their own personal vision and goal by challenging themselves to improve and adopt ways that will prevent them from entering a downward financial spiral into adulthood.
- Sponsor community programs designed to change youths' minds set from struggle to survival, from poor self-esteem to excitement for life, from dependent thinking to goal setting and self sufficiency, and from homelessness to empowerment.
Motto: “Catching Dreams”
The Calvin Johnson Jr. Foundation, Inc. …
- Provides toys to children during the Christmas holidays in Detroit and Atlanta.
- Collaborates with The Department of Corrections Metro Atlanta Transitional Women’s Center in providing toys to inmate children.
- Gave six scholarships to Metro Atlanta Football athletes.
- Conducts a free Wide Receiver Camp for rising 9th -12th grade Metro Atlanta football athletes on football and life skills.
- Other miscellaneous donations and support.